- Time: 9h00 for a 10am start. (It takes an hour to get there from Kirstenhof via Baden Powell.)
- Cost: R150 per bike to parks board - you will see that it is worth it. Pay Mark Shearer.
- First Time? : See our FAQ
- Lunch: Bring your family and have lunch after the trial at the restaurant. Club number is 021-859-3651 and 082-335-7071 - http://www.countryclub.co.za/.
We will cater for electric bikes - there are sections right near the clubhouse, and some docile riding in front of the restaurant. The further sections are via a flowing spoor where you can choose your line to be easy or difficult.
How to get there
- Take the N2 over Sir Lowrys Pass and then take the main turnoff into Grabouw (R321 at the Orchard Farm Stall).
- At the 2nd Stop Sign, turn left.
- Carry on for about 2k’s until the road banks left...
- at that point you will see a slip road going straight, over a railway line and a small Grabouw Country Club sign – go along there for another 2k’s and in to the club.
34° 7'39.38"S, 19° 1'27.57"E
The Elgin Grabouw Country Club
If you want to book for Breakfast or Lunch, please call the club or Willie and book (he is most accommodating).
Club number is: 021-859-3651 and 082-335-7071
“The Club has a fully licensed restaurant with stunning views across the Eikenhof dam. Come and experience the tranquility offered by this setting while enjoying any of our great value for money meals from our generous al la carte menu.
The restaurant is open from 11am to 9pm from Tuesdays to Friday and from 9am to 9pm on Saturday. The restaurant is also open on Sundays from 9am until 2pm. To avoid disappointment please book in advance."
The Elgin Grabouw Club is situated in the rich biodiversity hotspot of the Kogelberg Biosphere and has breath-taking views of the Eikenhof Dam, Hottentots-Holland Mountain range and Groenland Mountain range which makes this venue highly sought after for all types of function.
The management team and kitchen staff at the Club handle approximately 200 functions annually. These functions include weddings, conferences, year-end functions, team building exercises, business functions, sport functions, film shoots, birthday parties and much more.
We are very fortunate to get the chance to ride this Scottish-style trial set in this amazing place and we have to do all we can to keep it.
Please understand that this venue is private-owned and run and Willie, the director and manager of the facility, has to make money from whoever comes there… swimmers, cyclists, quad bikers and us. Hence the fee of R150. (Most of that goes to the Groenland Water Trust for our use of the dam)
I will be setting the trial on Saturday the 19th and then we ride on the Sunday. This weekend they have a film shoot on the Saturday and Mother’s Day on the Sunday and hence the shift in dates.
So we set off at the usual time, try and get there about 9, you are welcome and encouraged to bring your families as it is a nice venue with great space to walk. There is a field for kids to play on (not for bikes to wheelie) and the restaurant is expecting us for lunch and after the trial.