Trial Setup - Elgin Grabouw Country Club - Sun 8th May
This from Mark Shearer, who has secured a new venue that we will be riding at on the 15th:
Okay.. the venue for May’s Club Trial has been secured and I cannot wait for you all to see it and ride it!
The Club Manager is the nicest guy in the world, died-in-the-wool biker with tattoos and earrings.. he can’t wait to see Mike going over the ‘big stuff’ and is very keen to have the nationals at the club, this year or next. His name is Willie.
So, this Sunday, the 8th May, is Mother’s Day, and this would be a great opportunity to bring your wives and moms to eat in the recently refurbished restaurant for lunch and spend and hour or two riding with us as we set out the sections.. there is very little clearing to be done, it is just a matter of scouting and selecting sections for the trial and then flagging them.
The protocol for arriving at the club is as follows:
- when you arrive you need to park on the tar next to the squash court/bike shop (all clearly marked) and then
- at about 9:30/10 we go down into the arena for a scouting trip.
- Once we have 8 sections we go back to base for a break and then head out for the ‘flagging’ – (they will remain untouched for the week)
- Please remember that our behavior and future use of this venue will depend on how we conduct ourselves in the public spaces. Keep the wheelies and noise for far away. Slow and low around the clubhouse please.
How to get there
The directions are simple:
- Take the N2 over Sir Lowrys Pass and then take the main turnoff into Grabouw (R321 at the Orchard Farm Stall).
- At the 2nd Stop Sign, turn left.
- Carry on for about 2k’s until the road banks left...
- at that point you will see a slip road going straight and a small Grabouw Country Club sign – go along there for another 2k’s and into the club.
Willie is yet to confirm the price at the time of writing, but he seemed happy with a R50-R100 entrance fee per bike. I will let you know on WhatsApp.
The Elgin Grabouw Country Club
If you want to book for Breakfast or Lunch, please call the club or Willie and book (he is most accommodating).
Club number is: 021-859-3651 and 082-335-7071
“The Club has a fully licensed restaurant with stunning views across the Eikenhof dam. Come and experience the tranquillity offered by this setting while enjoying any of our great value for money meals from our generous al la carte menu.
The restaurant is open from 11am to 9pm from Tuesdays to Friday and from 9am to 9pm on Saturday. The restaurant is also open on Sundays from 9am until 2pm. To avoid disappointment please book in advance.
The bar is open from 11am until late.
There is a selection of menu options available to suit all tastes. There are also braai & picnic facilities available. Booking is essential. Please contact the Club for pricing.
Tel: 021 859 3651 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org “